When we were Kids,I clearly remember my Grandpa coming to our house every Sunday morning to watch popular TV soap "Mahabharat"and my mom used to prepare his favourite thindi "Poori Saagu".He used to be super excited and would always say "Soft Pooris with Fine Saagu" :).And its really a heavenly combination !
Well this being my Hubby's favourite thindi now ,its time for me to prepare Soft Pooris and Fine Saagu:-)
- Wheat flour 2 Cups
- Warm oil 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Water to knead
For Deep frying:
- Mixed vegetables cut in to 1 inch pieces - 2 cups
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1 medium ripe tomato
- Mustard seeds
- Curry leaves
- Asafoetida/Hing a pinch
- Coriander leaves for garnish
To be ground in to a paste:
- Cinammon 1 inch
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Poppy Seeds 2 Tsp
- Ginger 1 inch
- Onion -1 small
- Green Chillies 5-6
- Grated coconut - 1 cup
- Dalia(hurigadale)-1 Tbsp
- Coriander seeds-1 tsp
- coriander leaves -few strands
HOW TO MAKE:
- Take a mixer and grind all the ingredients mentioned above to a smooth paste with little water.
- Boil the vegetables separately in a pressure cooker with water and salt. Note:Make sure not to overcook the veggies.
- In a saucepan, heat little oil and then add mustard seeds, when they start crackling, add curry leaves, asafoetida and then add the chopped onions.
- Sauté the onions until it gets translucent and then add the chopped tomato until it cooks.
- Add the ground masala and let it cook for few minutes.
- Now at the end ,add the boiled vegetables along with water and allow it to cook.Make sure that you do not add more water as the saagu might become too watery.
- Add salt to taste.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with soft Pooris!
• Take a mixing bowl and add Flour, salt, and warm oil and mix well.Slowly start adding enough warm water to make soft dough. Make sure that the dough is not watery.So add the water carefully.Knead well and keep it aside.
• Now from the dough, take out small pieces and shape into small lemon sized balls.
• Roll them into medium thicker( smaller and thicker than rotis) rounds using a rolling pin and little bit of all purpose flour.
• Meanwhile heat oil in a frying pan, fry the pooris on both sides till golden brown.Serve Hot!
Preparation Time:45 mins to1 Hour