PEPPER RASAM (MENASINA SAARU)
This is very easy to make and the ingredients are always readily available at home!I usually prepare the Rasam powder ready in bulk and use it as and when required.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE RASAM POWDER:
- Urad Dal - 2 cups
- Whole Peppercorns - 1/4 cup
- Dessicated coconut/Dry coconut - 1/2 cup
- Take a frying pan .Add urad dal and peppercorns and dry roast it until you start smelling a nice aroma.(Make sure you do not burn the mixture).
- Turn off the stove.
- Add the dessicated coconut to the above mixture and mix well.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Once it is cooled.Take a mixer grinder and grind the mixture to a smooth powder.(NOTE: SO NOT ADD ANY WATER..It should be a dry smooth powder)
- Now the Pepper rasam powder is ready .
- Store the powder in an air tight container.
- Pepper Rasam Powder(recipe above)
- Curry leaves - few
- Water - 1 litre
- Salt to taste
- Milk - 1/4 cup
- Take a thick bottomed container and add water to it.
- Now add 2 Tbsp of the rasam powder and mix well before you turn on the heat.(Make sure no lumps are formed)
- Add the required salt and curry leaves and mix well.
- Allow it to boil for a few minutes.
- Now add in the milk(if vegan,plain oat milk can also be used) and allow it to settle with the rasam.
- Turn off the heat .
- Enjoy like a hot drink or can also be served with Rice!