People from Bangalore love this Iyengar bakery style honey cake..it is simply irresistible:) Tried making it and it tasted something similar:)
TO BAKE THE CAKE:
- All purpose flour -2 cups
- Baking powder-1 Tbsp
- Ripe Bananas -2
- Unsalted butter - 1 cup
- Sugar -1 cup
- Milk-4 Tbsp
- Vanilla essence -1 tsp
For the syrup:
- Water -1 cup
- Honey- 1 cup
- coconut powder -1 cup
- Freshly squeezed orange juice - 1/4 cup
- cardamom powder -1/2 tsp
- a pinch of red food color (optional)
HOW TO MAKE:
- Preheat oven to 180 deg celcius.
- Take a mixing bowl. Add 2 cups of all purpose flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Now add in the melted butter and beat well.
- Take a blender and blend the ripe bananas, sugar and milk together.
- Now add in the blended liquid to the mixing bowl and mix well to get a nice batter without lumps.
- Now transfer the contents to a greased baking tray and bake for about 40 to 50 minutes (mine took about 45 mins..chk with a fork if it is baked well)
- Remove from heat and let the cake cool for about 20 minutes.
- Now take a pan (on medium flame) add all the ingredients for the SYRUP except the cardamom and boil for about 10 minutes. Turn off the stove and add the cardamom powder, let cool.
- Now pour the warm syrup on the cake and let it sit for about an hour before serving!