ಹುರಳಿಸಾರು (huraLi saaru)
- 2 cups Hurali/ Horse gram, soaked overnight and pressure cooked.
- 4 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 3-4 Dry red chillies, low spiced
- A pinch of Asafoetida
- 3-4 tbsp Grated coconut
- 1 Onion (big)
- 1 tsp extracted Tamarind juice or paste
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1-2 tsp Ghee
- 1-2 strands Curry leaves
- Salt as per taste
HOW TO MAKE:
- Dry roast coriander seeds, jeera, black pepper, red chillies and Asafoetida well.Do not burn them!
- Powder all the above ingredients in a mixer grinder without adding any water.
- To this, add the grated coconut, onion and a cup of cooked Hurali/horse gram ,grind it to a smooth paste using water if required.Keep aside.
- Now strain the water from the hurali /horse gram.NOTE do not discard the water.Transfer the strained hurali water on to a cooking bowl.
- Add the masala from bullet 2, to the cooked hurali and boil well. Add water to get the required consistency.
- Add tamarind paste and salt.
- Boil for another 5-10 minutes. Adjust the taste according to your wish.
- Temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves; Serve hot with ragi mudde or rice !
- Keep finely cut onions,1 inch finely cut ginger,coriander leaves,curry leaves ready.
- Take a saucepan,add 2-3 tsp of oil.
- Add mustard seeds,let it sputter.now add the ingredients above and fry well.
- Add the strained hurali/horse gram to the saucepan and mix well.
- Add salt to taste.
- Shut off the flame .
- Add 1/2 tsp lemon juice,garnish with coriander leaves.
- Enjoy with Ragi Mudde and Hurali Saaru!
- Pressure cook the saoked 'hurali' with 3 glasses of water. Hurali/horse gram takes a little longer to cook.So, you might have to cook it for a couple of whistles more than usual.
About Horse gram: