Tofu is similar to cheese from the soyamilk..they are low in calories but rich in proteins..I wanted to try tofu instead of Paneer so I prepared tofu vegetable biriyani!They turned out really yummy with amazing flavour.Enjoy the recipe below!
- Jeera - 2 Tbsp
- Dhania Seeds - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic - 4-5 pods
- Ginger - 1 Tbsp
- Chillies - 4-5 (can be increased if you want it more spicy)
- Onion - 2 (depends on the variety)
- Tomato - 2 (depends on the variety)
- Cashew nuts - 2 Tbsp
- Mint leaves- a small bunch
- Coriander Leaves
- Turmeric - 1 tsp
- Basmati rice - 1 cup
- Butter- 1 tsp for shallow frying tofu
- Saffron- few strands
- tofu cubes- 1 cup
- Yogurt- 1 tsp
- Carrot -1- sliced
- Beans -1/2 cup- sliced
- Peas -1/2 cup
- Cauliflower - blanched in water
- Onions -1 big- well chopped
- Potato - cut square in smaller sizes
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Jeera - 1 tsp
- Chilli Powder - 2 tsp
- garam masala - 1 tsp
HOW TO MAKE:
1) Soak rice for half an hour after cleaning it(make sure you add only 1-1.5 water for 1 cup rice,otherwise the biriyani will become soggy) Cook the rice and keep it aside.
2) Meanwhile ,Fry the ingredients that need to be ground and blend all of them in a paste like consistency.
3) Add Oil to a Saucepan and fry jeera and saffron
4) Add Onions to this pan and fry till golden brown and then add chilli pwder and garam masala
5) Add all the other vegetables and salt
6) fry(add a little water) till they become almost done.
7) Add the ground mixture to this and mix all of them together
8) Once the paste like consistency has been achieved, reduce the flame and add yoghurt
9) Add the cooked rice to this mixture and fold it in...so that the rice does not break
10) Add butter to enhance the taste(optional)
11) Garnish with shallow fried tofu and coriander leaves.
12)Serve hot with raitha!