Watermelon Rind Chutney – made from the lovely white part(one of the most underutilized parts of the watermelon) residing quietly between the fruit and its hard green exterior. Watermelon rind is very healthy & nutritious. It is rich in Vitamins A, B6 and C. It is also high in both beta-carotene & lycopene.
- Watermelon Rind about 250 gms(peel the green skin and take only the white part and cut into pieces)
- Green chillies 7-8(adjust the spice level to your desire)
- Ginger - 1 inch
- Coriander leaves- few strands
- Curry leaves -few strands(only the leaves)
- Mint leaves - few strands
- Fried gram - a fistful
- Tamarind extract - 1 small tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Oil -1 tsp
- Salt to taste
HOW TO MAKE:
- Take a saucepan and add oil to it.
- Once the oil is heated ,add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.Leave it till it sputters.
- Then add the chillies,coriander leaves,ginger,curry leaves,mint leaves and fry .
- Finally add the cut watermelon rind pieces and fry well.
- Put off the stove and allow the mixture to cool.
- Now take a grinder/blender and add the above fried mixture plus the tamarind extract,fried gram and salt and grinder well .
- Chutney is now ready !
Preparation time: 15 mins
Watermelon rinds, usually a light green or white color, are also edible and contain many hidden nutrients[vague], but most people avoid eating them due to their unappealing flavor. They are sometimes used as a vegetable. In China, they are stir-fried, stewed or more often pickled. When stir-fried, the skin and fruit is removed, and the rind is cooked with olive oil, garlic, chili peppers, scallions, sugar and rum. Pickled watermelon rind is also commonly consumed in the Southern US.