Yummy and delicious ,this tangy cranberry chutney is very easy to prepare and very healthy too.Since Cranberries are normally not only sour but bitter as well,this recipe also helps to make the cranberries more edible!Goes very well with Rice,chapathis and any kind of breads!
- Cranberries 500 gms
- Dry Red Chillies 10- 12(Depending on your spice level)
- Fenugreek/Methi seeds - 2 Tsp
- Asafoetida/Hinge - 1/2 Tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 Tsp
- Oil - 2 Tbsp
- Tamarind - 1/2 Tsp
- Salt to taste
Masala for the chutney:
- Dry roast the red chillies,hinge and methi seeds on medium heat for about 3 minutes.Once you start getting a nice aroma,Switch off the flame and allow the mixture to cool down.
- Take a grinder and grind the mixture to a smooth powder WITHOUT water.
- Keep it aside.
- Take a deep frying pan and add in the oil .
- Once the oil is heated up,add the mustard seeds,ooce they start cracking,add in the washed cranberries.
- Fry for about 5 minutes without adding any water.
- Once the cranberries start to soften,add in the ground mixture in the above step and mix well by mashing all the cranberries into a paste.
- Add Salt to taste and Mix well and let it say for another 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Switch off and allow the chutney to cool down .It can be stored for a long time in an airtight container.
- Enjoy with hot rice,rotis or bread!
More information on cranberries: