Miss those yummy Iyengar Bakery Aloo Bun/Palya Bun from Namma Bengaluru here!So this was my first try at baking them here..wasn't bad for first time trial:)
- Potatoes - 3 large
- Onion - 2 large
- Oil - 3 Tbsp
- Green chillies - 6 to 8 (finely cut)
- Salt - to taste
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - a few
- Coriander leaves - 1 cup finely chopped
- All purpose flour /Maida - 3 cups
- Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
- Dry yeast - 2 1/2 tsp
- Water - 1 cup luke warm
- Milk - 1/4 cup (luke warm)
- Butter - 1/4 cup melted
- Sugar - 2 tsp
For Brushing the bun before baking:
- 1 Tbsp of milk + 1 Tbsp oil
HOW TO MAKE:
For the filling to be used inside the buns:
- Boil potatoes. Peel them and mash them coarsely.
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds. When they start sputtering, add green chillies and curry leaves.
- When they are done, add onions and saute them until translucent.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Now add in the mashed potatoes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and turn off the heat.
- Let it cool down to room temperature.
- Take a large bowl, add warm water, sugar, salt and yeast.
- Let it froth for about 5 minutes.
- Slowly add melted butter, dry milk powder if using and flour little by little to make a smooth dough.
- Knead it well for 10 minutes.
- Coat with a little bit oil(I used olive oil) all over the dough and cover and let it rise for about 45 minutes to an hour or till it doubles in volume.
- After the rise is done, punch down the dough really well.
- Divide into 12- 14 balls.
- Let it rest covered for 10 minutes.
Preparing the Bun for baking:
- From the filling prepared , make 12-14 lemon sized balls of the palya/stuffing and set aside.
- Now take the dough (1 piece) on your left hand and pat it to get a circle of about 4 - 5 " diameter.
- It should be large enough so that you can place the palya ball and cover it all around.
- Keep the palya/stuffing ball in the center and pull all the sides up together to join in the center. (lie how you do for aloo paratha stuffing)
- Pinch the edges and roll it slightly in your palm to make it smooth.
- Place seam-side down on a baking sheet which is lined with parchment paper or lightly greased.
- Repeat with rest of the dough.
- Cover the baking sheet with a clean kitchen towel or greased aluminum foil and let it rise in a warm place for about 30 - 45 minutes.
- Towards the end of rise period, preheat the oven to 200 deg C.
- Brush the top of the buns with oil and milk mixture (Note : If you are an egg eater, you can give it an egg wash to get better color).
- Bake the buns in the oven for 20 - 22 minutes.
- Keep an eye on the bun so that they don't get over burnt.
- When done, remove from the oven and brush with butter if desired.
- Serve Hot or warm:).
Interesting to read your post. I can't wait to see your next post. Good luck for upcoming updates. This article is very interesting and effective. Thanks for sharing such a blog. ramen near carlsbadReplyDelete