Avial is a side dish common to Tamil and kerala cuisines..It is very easy to prepare and very nutritious.
- Carrots 1
- Potatoes 1
- Beans 10
- Raw banana 1
- Drumstick 1
- Turmeric a pinch
- Coconut oil 1 tbsp
- Yogurt/curds 3 Tbsp
- Curry leaves a few (optional)
- Salt to taste
· Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
· Grated coconut - ½ cup
· Green chillies - 3 to 4 or according to your spice level
HOW TO MAKE
- Chop all the vegetables to 1 inch pieces
- Heat coconut oil in a pressure cooker or a thick bottom pan.
- Now add vegetables, turmeric, little salt and mix well.
- Add ½ cup water and cook it on a low flame until the veggies turn soft.(it should not get too soft)
- Grind coconut with green chillies and cumin seeds into paste and keep it aside. Heat 1 tsp coconut oil in a fry pan.
- Add in the cooked veggies and stir well.
- Now Add the coconut paste and combine well.
- Switch off the flame and allow the avial to cool.
- Now yogurt can be added and it should be mixed well.
- Serve with hot rice or dosa!
- Note:traditionally only coconut oil is used for tempering avial..but normal oil can also be used if one does not like coconut oil.Ofcourse the taste would be a little different!