CHOW CHOW BHAATH
Chow Chow Bhath is a breakfast special from Namma Bengaluru. Chow Chow Bhath consists of Kesari Bath (Halwa) and Khara Bhath (or Upma), where the main for preparing these two dishes is semolina. 'Kesari' is nothing but saffron. The word 'Khara' refers to the spicy savory. These two form a heavenly combination together..hence the name chow chow bhaath:)
HOW TO MAKE:
- Semolina/fine sooji/rava - 1 cup
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Saffron or kesari - few strands soaked in little milk
- Cashew nuts - around 10 halved
- Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp.
- Clarified butter/Ghee - 1 cup(can also use less..but this gives the taste )
- Water -3 cups
HOW TO MAKE:
- Take a frying pan, add ghee or clarified butter keeping the flame very low. Once it becomes hot, add cashew nuts broken into pieces and fry till very light golden brown.
- Now add in the semolina and fry until you smell a nice aroma .
- Now add in the sugar and mix well.(make sure the flame is still in low/medium)
- Now add hot water and mix well and bring it to boil.(you can also use milk).Adding water at this point helps in no lumps being formed.
- At the same time just add a pinch of saffron (soaked in little milk) and cardamom powder.
- Allow the mixture to cook for a while until it starts to absorb all the water and ghee separates.
- Switch off and serve while hot!
- Semolina/sooji/rava - 1 cup (use coarse rava or upma rava)
- Potato - 1
- Carrots- 1
- Peas- 1/2 cup
- Onions - 1
- Tomatoes - 1
- Green chillies - 5-6
- Curry leaves - 2 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds - 1 tbsp.
- Bengal gram/channa dal - 1 tbsp.
- Black gram/urad dal - 1 tbsp.
- Chopped ginger - 1 tsp.
- Coriander leaves - handful
- Oil - 2 to 3 tbsp.
- Salt to taste
- Water - 2 and half cup
HOW TO MAKE:
- Dry roast the semolina in a deep frying pan and keep it aside.
- Now in the same pan add 1 Tbsp oil and add mustard seeds. Once this splutters, add black gram and bengal gram, and allow this to change its colour to light brown.
- Now add curry leaves, followed by green chillies, chopped ginger, tomatoes and then onions and finally carrots,potatoes and green peas.
- Fry all these together well keeping the flame low to medium.
- Once the above mixture is cooked well, add boiling water (the water should be really hot) and add salt, as well as coriander leaves.
- Once the water starts boiling , slowly add sooji into this and cook until it becomes thick.Make sure you stir continuously while adding sooji ..otherwise lumps will be formed.
- Mix well and allow it to simmer for a few minutes by closing a lid.Switch off.Now the upma is ready to be served hot!Enjoy!
Post a Comment