Palak Methi Aloo Sabzi
Palak [Spinach] and Methi[Fenugreek] are the most commonly used greens in everyday cooking in the Indian Subcontinent and the Middle East. It has great nutritional value.. It is a power house of nutrition and one of the must haves for expectant mothers and a boon for Type 2 diabetics. In this particular curry/sabzi we are using Potato to go along with Spinach n' Fenugreek. It balances the taste and gives the dish volume. Have used very less cooking oil and goes well with hot Phulkas/Roti/Indian breads.
- Spinach/Palak - 2 Big bunches
- Fenugreek/Methi - 2 Big bunches
- Potato - 6-7 [smaller ones have intense flavour and suits this dish better]
- Onion - 2 Big
- Garlic - 4-5 cloves finely chopped
- Oil - 1 or 2 tbsp
- Cumin/Jeera - 1 tsp
- Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
- Green Chillies - 2
- Red Chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Kitchen King Masala or Garam Masala - 1-2 tsp
- Yogurt - 2 tbsp
- Amchoor/Dry Mango Powder - 1/2 tsp [Optional]
- Salt - As per taste
HOW TO MAKE :
- Clean the greens well and pat them dry. Stack the leaves together and chop them finely. Set aside.
- Take a thick bottom vessel/kadai, add a tbsp or 2 of cooking oil and heat it. When the oil is hot add cumin and let it splutter. Add diced potatoes and fry till its half done. Add finely chopped onions and garlic. Fry till the raw smell is gone.
- Add dry masalas/spices - turmeric, chilli powder, green chillies [optional], kitchen king or garam masala. Fry till the oil separates.
- Add the yogurt and mix well. This is done to give the dish a wholesome taste and a creamy texture.
- Add the chopped greens and salt to taste. Mix well. Turn off the heat as we dont want the greens to lose its nutrition or the taste!
- Serve hot with Rotis/Phulkas/Parathas.
I have added excerpts from relevant websites to throw more light on the nutritional aspects..
Nutritional Value of Spinach is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A (in the form of carotenoids), manganese, folate, magnesium, iron, copper, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin E, calcium, potassium, and vitamin C. It is a very good source of dietary fiber, phosphorus, vitamin B1, zinc, protein, and choline. Spinach - The World's Healthiest Foods [Source: www.whfoods.com]
Nutritional Value of Fenugreek contains a wide variety of beneficial nutrients, including iron, magnesium, manganese, and copper, as well as vitamin B6, protein, and dietary fiber. Fenugreek also contains a number of powerful phytonutrients, including choline, trigonelline, yamogenin, gitogenin, diosgenin, tigogenin and neotigogens.[Source: www.organicfacts.net]
Post a Comment