Kayi Chutney / Coconut Chutney
[Handy Tip: This dish has to be consumed immediately or stored in refrigerator for longer usage. Stays good for 2 days under good refrigeration.]
- Coconut - 2 big cups
- Green chillies - 3-4
- Ginger - 1/2 " piece [peel and chop]
- Hing or Asofoetida - a generous pinch
- Tamarind - a marble sized
- Daliya or Fried gram [also called as Hurigadale] - 2 tsp used as a binding agent.
- Salt - to taste
- Take a Small skillet and heat the a dash of oil and add hing , ginger and chillies to it. Fry well and turn off the flame. Let it cool.
- Take a chutney jar of the mixer grinder and grind the fried gram first and then add the coconut and run the mixer again.
- Once this is done, add the fried chilli hing and ginger to the jar and add tamarind [not too much] and salt to taste.
- Run the mixer and let it come to a medium grinding. Neither too coarse nor too smooth. Consistency just as in restaurants. Check for the salt seasoning and transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Add a pinch of hing, musturd and dry chilli tempering to the chutney for more flavor.
- Serve it fresh along with Dosas/Idlies/Chapathis or Bajjis/Vadas.