MALLIGE IDLY - Rice Idly
INGREDIENTS [to make around 30 idlies] :
- Urad dal - 1 cup [appx. 200 gms]
- Dosa or Idly rice - 2 cups [appx. 400 gms]
- Freshly Cooked rice - 3/4th cup [appx. 150gms] - Key ingredient! This is the item which makes all the difference in this recipe!
- Salt - To taste. [Handy Tip: its a good idea to keep the idlies lightly salted as it is eaten with another accompaniment i.e., spicy/salty dish like sambar or chutney and keeping it lightly salted doesn't make the dish too salty at the end of it.]
- Soak Urad dal and Rice for about 4-5 hrs with sufficient water. [Handy Tip: If you need to make it quicker one could soak the grains in hot boiling water and cover with a lid. It will take half the time to soak].
- Grind the soaked Urad Dal and Rice to a smooth batter. Use limited water to grind and make sure the batter is not runny]
- To this mixture add cooked rice and grind together.
- Store this in an airtight container to ferment [soda is used to help the batter rise quicker though I prefer the normal overnight fermenting process]
- Add little salt to the risen batter and mix well and set aside.
- Grease the idly plates with cooking oil or ghee and pour the batter on the plates.
- Stack up the plates and place them in an idly pot or a pressure cooker without the whistle.
- Steam in high flame for 5-7 mins and then reduce the flame and steam for about 2-4 mins and turn off the heat.
- Let the idlies stay in the hot vessel for a couple of mins before taking it out.
- Serve hot n fluffy idlies with accompaniments of your choice.