Palak Methi aur Paneer ki Saag is a calcium, minerals and protein rich gravy. Its got a very herby and fresh flavour, making it ideal to go with both roti and rice alike. This gravy is prepared along with fresh cream and paneer making it nutritious and delicious especially for expectant mothers. The usage of spices are minimal as it tends to over power the greens.
To Serve 4
- Palak / Spinach - 3 medium bunches [cleaned, blanched and pureed]
- Methi - 1 medium bunch [separate only the leaves, cleaned and finely chopped]
- Paneer - 200gms [Appx.]
- Onions - 2 big [roughly chopped]
- Green chillies - 1 or 2 [best if sparingly used]
- Garlic - 10 pods or more! [garlicky flavor gives an edge to this dish]
- Coriander powder - 1-2 tbsp
- Cumin/Jeera - 2 tsp
- Bay leaf and Elaichi/Cardamom - 1
- Red chilli or Paprika - 1-2 tsp [as per requirement]
- Kasuri Methi or Dried Fenu greek leaves - 1-2 tsp
- Milk - 1 cup
- Oil or Ghee - 1tbsp
- Fresh Cream - 2 tbsp
- Cashew - 10 [soak in hot water for about half hour and grind to a smooth paste]
How to prepare -
- Blanch the Spinach and green chillies and puree it to a smooth paste.
- Chop the fresh fenugreek leaves and set aside.
- Heat a Kadai and add ghee or oil to it. Add cumin, bay leaf and cardamom and fry for a minute. Add the garlic and roughly chopped onions. Saute it for about 2 mins. Once the raw smell goes away, add the chilli powder and coriander powder and fry well. Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Grind the onion and other spices to a paste.
- In a hot Kadai / frying pan, add the onion ground paste, blanched and pureed spinach and chopped methi. Fry well for about 2 mins.
- Add salt, cashew paste and milk. Bring it to a boil. You can add a little water if you feel the gravy is very thick to adjust the right consistency.
- Add cubed paneer pieces and mix well till its nicely coated. Cover with a lid and let it simmer for 5 mins.
- Give it a good stir and rub the Kasuri Methi or Dried Fenugreek between two palms to drop just the fine powder. You can throw away the residue. Turn off the heat. The gravy can be served with fresh cream and and a sprinkle of Kasuri methi and chilli powder [as shown in the above picture]
A mini thali with Palak Methi Paneer Saag. This thali has a combination of 2 whole wheat rotis with a little butter on top; the said gravy; ghee jeera rice; curd rice with tempering; fresh salad consisting tomatoes and onion slices :)