Pepper n' Jeera Rasam- Is a very good as a digestive n light on the tummy along with hot rice and a dash of ghee. This is non spicy but flavorful rasam. Can be had like soup as well. Rich source of protein as well as its made of toor dal.
- Toor Dal - 1 cup [appx. 50gms]
- Tomato - 1-2
- Jeera - 1 tbsp
- Pepper - 15-20 [as per requirement]
- Hing - generous pinch [mix little water with the hing paste]
- Tamarind - watery pulp [little]
- Mustard - for tempering
- Ghee - 1-2 tsp for tempering
- Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 1-2 sprigs
- Salt - as per taste
How to prepare:
- Pressure cook toor dal till it is completely mushy. Mash it well till smooth.
- Add adequate water and turmeric to the mashed dal. Let it boil.
- Add chopped tomatoes, tamarind pulp and hing water. Simmer it.
- Simultaneously, take a skillet and prepare the tempering which is vital for this dish.
- Using a mortar and pestle hand crush the jeera and pepper. It should be very coarse.
- In a hot skillet add ghee. Add mustard and let it crackle. To this add the jeera n pepper mix. Fry for a minute.
- Add salt to the boiling dal.
- Finish the dish by adding the tempering and giving it one last boil.
- Serve hot.