Chayote/chow chow is one veggie which I was not fond of as a kid.But its a super healthy veggie which contains many amino acids, vitamin C and the minerals potassium, calcium and iron.Its called as seeme badnekayi in kaanada. Try this quick chutney and I am sure you will be thrilled!
- 2 medium sized chayote squash chow chow(I used the peel too)
- 1/4 cup coconut scraped fresh or frozen
- 1 inch tamarind piece soaked in 2 tbsp water
- 2 Tsp oil
- 2 Tbsp chana dal
- 4 medium dried red chillies
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 tsps salt
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
HOW TO MAKE
- To make the chow chow vegetable into a chutney, start by vertically slicing it. Cut out the seed. Don't peel but scrape any spikes that may be there on the skin and dice or slice it.
- Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds ,a pinch of asafoetida, 2 tbsp chana dal ,green and red chillies and saute on medium heat until the dal is golden brown. Move them onto a plate and cool for few minutes.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Saute the chow chow for few minutes,add 1/4 cup water, pinch of salt, cover and cook till chow chow is tender and fully cooked.
- Now grind the fried mixture, soaked tamarind ,salt and coconut to coarse paste with the cooled and cooked chow chow.
- Now your chutney is ready to be served with hot rice or rotis!
Preparation time: 10 minutes