- 1 small bitter gourd
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp oil
- lemon juice
- Wash the bitter gourd and cut it in to small pieces.
- wash the pieces and transfer it on to a bowl.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp chilli powder on to the bowl and mix well with bitter gourd.There is no need to add extra water as we have washed the pieces just now.
- Let the mixture stay for 15-20 mins.
- Now take a frying pan,add little oil and add the cut bitter gourd to the pan and shallow fry till they are crisp.
- Lemon juice can be sprinkled on the crisp bitter gourd before serving!
Bitter melon contains a unique phyto-constituent that has been confirmed to have a hypoglycemic effect called charantin. There is also another insulin-like compound known as polypeptide P which have been suggested as insulin replacement in some diabetic patients.
(a plant insulin) that is highly beneficial in lowering sugar levels in blood and urine. Bitter melon juice has been shown to significantly improve glucose tolerance without increasing blood insulin levels.
|Choose unripe bitter melons that are firm, like how you would a cucumber. Avoid those that have turned orange or have soft spots. Ripe bitter melons can be excessively bitter.Store bitter melons in the vegetable bin in the refrigerator which has the right temperature. It should keep for three to four days.|
Clean your bitter melon under cold running water and brush with a soft vegetable brush. To prepare, slice the melon length-wise and scoop out the seeds. To lessen the bitter flavor, soak it in salt water for about half an hour before juicing/cooking.
The smaller variety is more bitter than the bigger one. To help make bitter gourd juice more palatable, take it with honey, or add carrot or apple juice. For diabetics, drink the juice with green apple juice.
Do not consume more than two ounces of bitter melon, or more than two melons a day. Excessive consumption may cause mild abdominal pain or diarrhea. Diabetics taking hypoglycemic drugs will need to alter the dosage of their drugs if they consume bitter melon on a regular basis. Please consult your doctor.
Pregnant women should avoid taking too much bitter gourd or its juice as it may stimulate the uterus that may lead to preterm labor.