PULIYOGARE GOJJU RICE
|Puliyogare Rice(tamarind rice)|
|Gojju during preparation|
- Tamarind (about lemon sized or paste can be used)
- Bengal gram Dal – 2 tsp
- urad dal-2 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 50 gms
- mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Pepper corns – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry red chillies - 50 gm(according to your hot spice level)
- Copra(shredded dry coconut)- 6 tsp
- Black till /sesame seeds - 50-60 gms(white till can be used if black till not available)
- Oil -5 tsp
- curry leaves- a bunch
- groundnuts(optional)- 50 gms
- turmeric -1/2 tsp
- Prepare tamarind juice and keep it aside.Make sure it is not too watery.
- Now fry urad dal,bengal gram,coriander seeds,pepper corn,fenugreek seeds.dry chillies on a low flame until you get a good aroma.Make sure you do not over burn them!
- Grind the roasted ingredients in to powder WITHOUT adding water.Keep it aside.
- Fry black sesame seeds separately and powder them WITHOUT water and keep it aside.
- Take a saucepan and add oil to it and let it heat for sometime.
- Add curry leaves,turmeric powder to the saucepan.
- After few mins add the tamarind juice prepared in step 1 and mix well.
- To that add jaggery and required amount of salt and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Now at this point transfer the ground ingredients from step 3 and step 4 to the sauce pan.
- Mix well and let it cook for some time on a low flame stirring every now and then till it releases a layer of oil on the sides. Now the Puliyogare Gojju is ready.
- Cook Rice in such a way that each grain is separate. Use Rice cooker if available.
- Spread the cooked Rice on a big plate.
- Heat Oil in a pan and add Mustard Seeds and Groundnuts.
- When the Mustard seeds sputter, add Curry Leaves, Asafoetida,Jeera powder and black sesame powder . Pour this seasoning on the Rice.
- Add required quantity of gojju prepared earlier on the rice and mix well.Add salt if required since salt is already there in the pulitogare gojju.
- Preparation time: 1.5 hours