Palak Paneer is a yummy North Indian dish prepared with spinach and Paneer(Indian cottage cheese). This is a rich, smooth, creamy curry where paneer cubes are cooked in a onion-tomato-spinach based gravy which is moderately spiced with Indian spices.
- 3- 4 big bunches of spinach (discard the coarse stems) -pressure cook 5 minutes and make a paste and keep it ready
- 250 gms paneer (cubed and lightly fried till brown in a tsp of ghee)
- 2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 onions finely chopped
- 4 green chillies slit length wise
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli Powder
- 1 tsp coriander Powder
- 2 big juicy tomatoes (blanched in hot water, peeled and pureed)
- 1 cup water (use the water in which spinach was cooked)
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp kasuri methi
- 1 tsp malai
HOW TO MAKE:
- Add ghee in a Kadai/saucepan and add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the onions and green chillies and sauté them till light brown. Make sure you do not burn them!
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry further for 3-4 minutes. Add red chillies powder and coriander powder and mix well.
- Add the tomato paste and let it cook for 5-6 mins on medium heat. Add the palak paste and let it cook further for another 4-5 mins.
- Add the fried paneer cubes and mix well.
- Cook covered on low heat .
- Add the palak water and salt and cook on medium heat for 10-12 mins.
- Add malai,garam masala powder and kasuri methi and mix well.
- Reduce flame, cover and cook for 2 mts.
- Serve hot with chapathis.
Preparation time: 45 mins - 1 hour