Mouthwatering Masala Dosa recipe in a healthy style!For this recipe you will be just replacing the quantity of rice usually used in traditional dosa recipe with OATS!Try out this healthy and nutritious recipe!
Dosa Batter Ingredients:
- 2 cups Oats ( any brand is fine)
- 3/4 cup Urad Dal
- 1 fistful Bengal gram
- 2 tsp Methi /fenugreek Seeds
- 1 tsp (Ghee+Oil) mixed for each dosa
- Salt as per taste
- Soak Urad dal,bengal gram, methi seeds with enough water for about 6-8 hrs.
- Soak the OATS in water just before you start grinding.(soak it for about 15-30 mins)
- Grind the soaked ingredients with enough water to a smooth paste in a grinder;Make sure the batter is not too watery!
- Allow the batter to ferment in a warm place for about 8-10 hours; Make sure the container has enough room for the batter to rise else the batter will overflow due to fermentation!
- Add salt to the fermented batter and mix well.
- Place a non stick Tava on medium heat.Once hot, pour a ladle full of batter at the center; With the back of the ladle, spread the batter thinly; Start from the center and work outwards, in a fast circular motion; Note: Spread the batter as soon as you pour it on the tava; The batter will start getting cooked other wise and stick to the tava and makes it difficult to spread the batter evenly!
- Pour few drops of ghee/oil all over the dosa and also at the edges; Let cook on medium heat until it turns golden brown in color.
- Add 1 ladle of masala/palya (see below for recipe)prepared to the dosa and fold the dosa as shown in the image.
- Remove from tava and serve immediately with coconut chutney.(see below)
- Masala (palya)Ingredients:
- 4 medium sized Potatoes - Pressure cooked, peeled and mashed coarsely.
- 4 medium sized Onions - Chopped well
- 1 small tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Lime juice
- 2" Ginger, finely chopped
- 3-4 strands Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 6-8 Green chilies, medium spiced - coarsely chopped
- a bunch of Curry leaves
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tsp bengal gram/Urad dal mixture
- Salt as per taste
How to make:
- Take a saucepan .
- Add oil on to the heated saucepan.
- Temper with mustard seeds, curry leaves, dal mixture, turmeric, ginger and green chilies.
- Add chopped onions and fry until golden brown.
- Add mashed potatoes, salt and mix well.
- Remove from stove.
- Add lime juice, coriander leaves and mix well; Keep aside.
HOW TO MAKE Coconut Chutney:
(to make about a bowl)
- Fry 6-8 medium spiced chilles,a handful of pudina leaves,2 stands of coriander leaves,1 strand of curry leaves,1 inch ginger,a pinch of asafoetida in little oil tempered with little asafoetida and mustard seeds.
- Grind the above after adding 1/2 cup grated coconut,3 tsp hurigadale/dalia split and salt.
- Chutney is ready to be served with masala dosa!
Preparation time : 40-45 minutes