While the original intent of making pickle was to preserve the seasonal vegetables,it has over centuries become an intrinsic part of Indian culinary experience!No meal is considered complete without a dash of pickle:)Pickle making is a tradition and each region have their own twist to the recipes.Spurred by the availability of zitrone(lemon like) in Germany,I was motivated to try making a zitrone pickle!It tasted real yummy an here goes the recipe:)
- Zitrones - 4-5(big)
- Fenugreek seeds - 2 tsp
- Asafoetida(Hinge) - 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli powder - about 75 gms(add less if you want it less spicy)
- Salt - about 50 gms(or as per your taste)
HOW TO MAKE
Preparing the pickle jar:
- Take a glass jar and wipe it well to make sure there is no moisture.
- Cut the zitrones to small pieces as per your desire .
- Add in the Zitrones to the clean jar.
- Now add in the salt and mix well.
- Close the jar(make sure it is tight) and keep it aside for about 4-5 days.(Make sure you keep mixing once in 2 days and most importantly ,do not add any water and use only a dry spoon)
- After 4-5 days ,you will see that the zitrones would have given out enough water because of salt.
- Now is the time to add in the spice mix.
Preparing the spices to mix for the pickle:
- Take a saucepan and dry roast the fenugreek seeds and asafoetida until you get a nice aroma.(Make sure you do not burn them)
- Allow the mixture to cool down.
- Now take a grinder and add the roasted mixture and the chilli powder .Grind them to a smooth powder WITHOUT adding water.
- Now add the ground powder to the pickle jar (which as been sitting for about a week in the salt mixture)
- Mix well.
- Make sure you keep mixing the pickle once in every two days.After 3-4 days the juice from the zitrone start to form and would have mixed well with the masala and the pickle is ready to taste.(one tip:If it is not juicy,you can add some zitrone juice and then allow it to settle well for some more time)
- Pickle is ready to eat.Savour it with Idli,Dosa,rice!
Note: The above steps can be followed by using lime/lemon instead of zitrone.