(Both Sweet and Khara(spicy) Pongal Recipes)
First of all wish you all a very Happy Sankranthi!So thought of sharing the traditional Pongal recipe today:)
INGREDIENTS For Sweet Pongal
- Rice - 1 cup
- Moong Dal - 1/2 cup
- Milk - 1 cup
- Jaggery - About 200 grams.
- Cashewnuts - About 10-12
- Ghee - 5-6 Tsp.
- Raisins- 10-12 nos
- Few strands of saffron
- 2.5 to 3 cups of water
How to Make
- Take a saucepan and dry roast the moong dal in it.
- Cook the rice and moong dal with 2 1/2 cups of water and 1 cup of milk in the saucepan.
- Take another saucepan and dissolve the jaggery in 3/4 cup water and cook on a low heat till the jaggery melts. (Note:Strain the jaggery to remove the dirt)
- Heat the jaggery syrup again and stir till it becomes slightly sticky.
- Add the cooked rice and dal. Mix well.
- Seasoning: Cashews,Raisins in ghee and add to the Pongal .
- Mix well and serve hot.
INGREDIENTS For Avarekai Khara(Spicy) Pongal
- 1 cup Rice
- 1 cup moong dal
- 10-15 peppercorns
- 1 cup Avarekai(Hyacinth bean)--(this is a karnataka speciality to do Avarekai pongal during Sankranthi..Try it ..you will definitely like it!)
- 6-7 green chillies
- Coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 tsp ghee
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
How to make:
- Take a saucepan and dry roast moong dal and peppercorn.
- Take a pressure cooker and add Rice ,2.5 cup of water,turmeric powder and roasted mixture to it.
- Add salt to taste.
- Pressure cook till the rice and dal are very soft.
- In another saucepan,add ghee. Seasoning with mustard seeds, cut chillies,coriander and curry leaves.
- Tranfer these to the pressure cooker ,once the cooker cools down.
- Mix well the contents.
- Serve hot with Huli Menthya Gojju.
Recipe for HuliMenthya gojju(Sour Tangy Sauce)
- Tamarind paste - 3 tsp
- Rasam powder- 1 tsp
- Fenugreek (methi) seeds-1 tsp
- Jaggery (Powdered)-1tsp
How to make:
- Mix tamarind juice with 1.5 cups of water.
- Add rasam powder ,Jaggery and salt.
- Boil well.
- Season with fenugreek seeds and boil again.
- Serve with khara pongal.