Soft fluffy idlis!!Who doesn't wanna eat?!Learnt this from my MIL.She makes awesome soft idlies:).For some variation,Coriander leaves and green chilles can be added to batter and the same process as below be followed for Masala Idlis.
- 1 measure Urad dal
- 2.5 measure Idli Rava(Idli Tari in kannada) or 2 cups Rice can be used
- salt to taste
- Little oil for greasing
How to make :
- Wash and Soak Urad dal and Idli Tari (Rava) separately for 8 hours.
- Wash and drain the Urad dal and Idli rava.
- Grind them separately in a grinder.(make sure not to add too much water).
- Mix the ground Idli rava and urad dal together into a thick batter.
- Mix salt and set aside in a warm place for 8-9 hours for fermentation.(Make sure you use a big container as the Idli batter might spill after fermentation)
- Idlis are ready to be cooked when the batter is well fermented.
- Grease the Idli moulds with very little oil .
- Fill each of the moulds with 3/4th full of batter.
- Steam cook idlis on medium flame for about 10 minutes or until done.(Tip:To see if the Idlis are done,keep your hand over the cooker and see if you are getting dry steam,if you are ,then the Idlis are done)
- Switch off the stove,Let it cool for a minute and then remove the Idlis using a spoon.
- Serve them with Chutney or Sambar